Saturday, December 10, 2016

Special Kind Of Hospitalities (不同的待遇)


Do you believe that different practices would receive different treatments from the spiritual realm? Whatever answer you might have, please hold on to it and allow me to complete the below story and then reveal to me what you think.

A few years ago, 4 True Buddha (TB) masters and I went to a famous haunted building in Penang to meditate. All of us were practising the Yamantaka Tantra but of different lineages. The TB masters were: Yong, Lim, Tan and Chin respectively. During that time, the haunted house was accessible to almost anyone though now it is listed as restricted area.

The 4 TB masters went into the haunted house first in the evening with all their ritual implements: bell, Vajra and etc. and they first prayed in a shrine in front of the haunted house. After choosing their locations, they started to do their TB specific Yamantaka ritual and then meditated at various locations of the haunted house. I went in in the midst of their Yamantaka ritual and I quietly found myself a place further away from those masters so as not to disturb them. And since my lineage requires me to perform a simple Yamantaka fire offering to the local lord first, I didn’t want the smoke from fire ritual affected the masters’ concentration.

The next morning, after packing our belongings; we sat outside of the haunted house and chatted casually for a moment sharing our own experiences:

Yong said: “Before I meditated, I performed the Vajra boundary protection and further sprinkled the compound with holy water and thought all will be okay. But somewhere around 3am, I felt my body was covered by a layer of chillness. This type of chill was no ordinary chill as it seemed to have originated from inside my mind. As a result, my body couldn’t stop trembling with cold and I had to give up meditation and cover my body with my raincoat.”

It would be a little surprised to hear Yong’s chilled to the spine story as temperature in Penang is almost always hot though it could reach 23C during the Northeast monsoon season. From the way Yong described, I thought he was almost certainly possessed by a ghost.

Then, Lim said: “Perhaps the ghosts didn’t want me to recite the Yamantaka heart mantra. Whenever I recited the mantra, I found my tongue sort of twisted and I couldn’t pronounce the mantra correctly. So I chanted the guru’s heart mantra instead and imagined my root guru sat on my heat. After a while, I too fell into slumber…”

Tan continued to share his experience: “After I mediated for a while, I felt the whole of my body became numb. I wanted to chant the Yamantaka heart mantra loudly but my tongue was numb as well. So, there was nothing I could do and I subsequently fell into sleep and woke up in the morning…”

Mr. Chin said: “While I was in meditation while making the Yamantaka mudra, a force suddenly pulled at the mudra causing me to lose balance and fell sideways. After I begged the spirits not to disturbed me, surprisingly I was not disturbed anymore…”

By now, the 4 TB masters looked at me and asked almost simultaneously: “And what was your experience like?”

I said: “Oh, it was quite boring… Except for those irritation mosquitoes humming beside my ears, I found nothing around!”

Of course, none of the TB masters believed what I said as they thought I have fainted or fell into slumber or something like that. The fact is that when a practitioner of Yamantaka meditated in the wild, he/she should unite his heart with whatever he/she experiences; it is the union of the imagination and reality that give rises to the fearlessness and confident in Dharma.

No comments:

Post a Comment